[MOAB-dev] Re: General iMesh usage

Jason Kraftcheck kraftche at cae.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 12 14:46:05 CDT 2008

Neil Hodge wrote:
> Jason:
>
> I tried to subscribe to the mailing list, but I have gotten no response,

I don't think you need to subscribe to the list to be able to send messages
to it.

> and I don't have very long to get the first cut of this implemented, so
> I thought I would ask you a few questions:
>
> 1) Is there a nice example of _writing out_ a mesh available somewhere?
>  Fortran90 would be nice, but C would be ok too.

Not that I know of.

> 2) If not, then, how does one write a mesh?  I am guessing the following:
>
> * iMesh_createEntSet

I'm not sure why you want to do that.

> * iMesh_createVtxArr
>
> * iMesh_createEntArr
>   This is really non-obvious . . .
>   Does this need to be called twice (or more), once for POINTs,

createVtxArr will create vertices.

>   and once for HEXAHEDRONs, (or more, once for each intermediate
>   topology), or can hexes be defined directly in terms of vertices.

hexes can be defined by specifying vertices in canonical (PATRAN/Exodus II)
ordering or by intermediate entities such as edges or quads.

>   Also, how are hexes defined, i.e., what does
>   "lower_order_entity_handles" look like for hexes?

The concatenation of the lists of lower-order entities (e.g vertices)
defining each hex.

> * iMesh_addEntArrToSet
>   Do the vertices need to be added to the entity set as well?
>   I would imagine so, since this is the only place that I see
>   coordinates being defined.

I don't know.  What do you want the entity set for?  If it is only to pass
to iMesh_save, then just pass in the result of iMesh_getRootSet (unless you
only want to save a subset of the mesh.)