[Darshan-users] Issues with Fio benchmark tool being profiled with Darshan

Neeraj Rajesh nrajesh at hawk.iit.edu
Tue Jul 14 15:15:42 CDT 2020

Hello

I am trying to profile an Fio command, where I do roughly a gigabyte of
reads or writes or mixed at a fixed block size.
eg.
```
fio --filename=./test --size=1024MB --direct=1 --rw=randrw --bs=4k
--ioengine=sync --iodepth=256 --numjobs=1 --name=test-job --minimal
--stats=0
```
I have tested it with the following 'ioengines':
- sync
- psync
- posixaio
- pvsync

I do get a darshan file, but all of the POSIX counters are 0, except for
POSIX_F_META_TIME, POSIX_STATS, POSIX_FILE_ALIGNMENT and POSIX_MMAPS. I
have ensured the operation is not simultaneously doing both POSIX and STDIO.

As per my configuration it should not be getting 0s especially for the
counters POSIX_SIZE_WRITE_1K_10K, POSIX_WRITES, POSIX_READS,
POSIX_BYTES_WRITTEN, POSIX_BYTES_READ etc.

Kindly advise what to do next.

Thank you for your time, Stay safe
Yours Sincerely
Neeraj Rajesh