[Darshan-users] Darshan crashing compute node

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 2 10:27:53 CDT 2020

Thanks for the bug reports André!  You are describing two different problems:

1) incompatibility between the Darshan Lustre instrumentation and recent Lustre releases: we'll definitely look into this.  As you found in the mailing list archives there has been a known problem here, but this is a new permutation that it causes a node crash now.  That's disappointing, to say the least.  If anyone happens to have a pointer to how to stand up a Lustre 2.11 instance in docker or a VM they can share, that would be greatly appreciated and would help us track compatibility better.  The Lustre systems we have access to are not new enough. In the mean time you are correct to disable that component at build time.

2) floating point or divide by zero when writing log to Lustre: This one is odd because at the point of the problem, Darshan is not instrumenting anything: it is simply an application writing data to Lustre.  We don't generally see problems here.  Darshan is doing a collective write here as the last step of aggregating instrumentation from all ranks into a single log file.  The only slightly unusual things that Darshan could be doing are a) setting MPI-IO hints or b) using particular datatypes to organize the writes.  Neither should be a problem, but it looks like they might have triggered a bug somewhere.

If you don't mind trying another test case, could you repeat one of the experiments that crashes with a floating point or divide by zero bug down in MPI_File_write_at_all() with the following environment variable set?  (please keep disabling the Lustre module at build time, we have no other fix for that ready yet)

export DARSHAN_LOGHINTS=

(in other words, set the DARSHAN_LOGHINTS environment variable to an empty string)

I believe that this will clear the MPI-IO hints that Darshan would normally specify when opening the output log file.  If that makes your example work cleanly, then we can narrow down which hint is the problem and maybe get some help outside of Darshan for the root cause.  If it still fails, then we need to look elsewhere for the problem.

thanks,
-Phil