[Darshan-users] Computation and I/O Modelling

Carns, Philip H. carns at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jul 15 08:25:02 CDT 2019

Hi Ruchi,

Unfortunately Darshan doesn't directly capture computation effort.  The only thing it can really tell you is how much time was spent *not* doing I/O.  You could assume that is computation time, but really it could include communication, synchronization, or any other non-I/O tasks that Darshan might be doing.

The module infrastructure in Darshan now would be a possible vehicle to add a mechanism for tracking compute effort, but that hasn't been done (and wouldn't apply to previously collected logs anyway).

thanks,
-Phil