[Darshan-users] Experimental non-MPI version of Darshan now available

Snyder, Shane ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 11 15:55:06 CST 2019

Darshan users,

An experimental pre-release of Darshan is now available that enables instrumentation of non-MPI workloads. It can be downloaded here: https://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/darshan/download/. It is NOT recommended to use this version in production until we have had more time for users to test it.

See the darshan-runtime documentation (located in darshan-runtime/docs from the top-level Darshan repo, attached for convenience) for more information on how to build Darshan without MPI support and also how to enable non-MPI instrumentation at application runtime.

Note that this instrumentation method only works on dynamically-linked executables — Darshan still does not support instrumentation of statically-linked non-MPI executables.

We encourage users that are interested in characterizing I/O in non-MPI contexts to try out this new functionality and let us know about any issues or questions you might have! Depending on user experience, we will try to get a release of this software suitable for production deployment soon.

Thanks,
--Darshan team