[Darshan-users] darshan3.1.5 issue on Cray XC40 cle6.up05

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 27 09:18:00 CST 2018

On 02/27/2018 12:34 AM, Bilel Hadri wrote:

> Hi Phil,
>
> Sure, test_scalapack.f90 call ScaLAPACK routines and uses inside MPI
> library. The output of the failing ftn command with the craype-verbose
> flag

Thanks Bilel.  The petsc example helps too.  This clarifies that the
trigger on Cray up05 is to compile a program that doesn't directly  use
MPI symbols on its own but instead links in another library  that
indirectly uses MPI symbols on its behalf.

This isn't an unusual use case (scalapack and petsc have done this
forever), and the linker options in Darshan are set up to handle it, but
something has obviously changed in the linker in this respect in this
update.

We are still trying to work out how to reproduce this but it may be a
little bit.  In the mean time would you be willing to try something in
your 3.1.5 install to help debug?

Can you manually edit
/sw/xc40cle6/darshan/3.1.5/sles12.3_gcc7.2.0/share/ld-opts/darshan-base-ld-opts
and add this line to the top of the file, then try again to compile your
examples with 3.1.5 loaded?

--undefined=__wrap_MPI_Init

By my (admittedly slightly murky) interpretation of the link order and
the flags that we are setting, that shouldn't be necessary, but it would
be helpful to see what it does for your example.

thanks,

-Phil