[Darshan-users] darshan-parser output in json format

Shane Snyder ssnyder at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 22 12:55:16 CDT 2018

Hi George,

Adding to Kevin's comment -- we have found the ability to extract
Darshan parser output in JSON format to be valuable in a couple of other
external projects too, but it is not currently on any development
roadmap for integration into Darshan proper. It is something we can
consider in the future though, especially since we are working on other
features that will probably make this easier (namely, implementing a
Python interface to the darshan-utils library).

If it's useful in the meantime, I can point you at code from one of our
projects (TOKIO) that implements a JSON parser for Darshan logs. TOKIO
is a broader project concerned with holistic I/O analysis of HPC
systems, and as part of it we have implemented a number of different
Python tools for analyzing different I/O logs (including Darshan), all
in the pytokio repo: https://github.com/NERSC/pytokio.

'bin/cache_darshan.py' is the script that can take a Darshan log file
and spit out JSON data for all of the counters, metadata, etc.

Thanks,
--Shane