[Darshan-users] Different builds for each MPI/compiler

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 9 12:38:04 CDT 2015

On 09/09/2015 10:55 AM, Chih-Song Kuo wrote:

> [...]

This would mainly be an issue for mixing MPI 2 and MPI 3 implementations
(const correctness is part of the latter spec).  I imagine there would
be more significant roadblocks to that level of interoperability
though.  It's probably best to at least stick to one major version or
the other for a given Darshan build.

FWIW Darshan does detect the const issue at compile time (for the
Darshan library itself), so you can build a version of Darshan for use
with either API generation.

> Also, on
> https://www.nersc.gov/users/software/debugging-and-profiling/ipm/,
> there seems to be some module explicitly built for Intel compilers. I
> thought Darshan uses a similar profiling technique, so I was asking.

I don't believe this is the case.  Darshan's various instrumentation
methods (link-time wrappers, PMPI, or preloading) are all
compiler-independent to my knowledge.  IPM captures more in-depth
information so it may rely on additional methods.

> I read in some Darshan research papers that the tool has been enabled
> by default on several NERSC clusters. Do the users there have a wide
> choice of MPI implementations? Do you have any clue which MPIs are
> chosen by the user and also get successfully profiled by Darshan?

I don't have that information myself, sorry.  I know that Darshan works
with each of the compilers that are available (and users do switch those
for various reasons), but I'm not sure about the MPI implementations.

thanks,
-Phil