[Darshan-users] Compiling Darshan with -fPIC

Matthieu Dorier matthieu.dorier at irisa.fr
Mon May 5 08:00:22 CDT 2014

Hi,

While installing Darshan-Ruby on a new plateforme (Debian with Linux kernel 3.2.0 amd64 and gcc 4.7), I encountered a compilation error, basically asking me to recompile Darshan with -fPIC.
I tried to use CFLAGS=-fPIC but, I don't know why, it didn't work. I ended up changing the Makefile.in of Darshan, line 59 and 60, to the following:

darshan-logutils.o: darshan-logutils.c
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -fPIC -c $< -o $@

Maybe it could be useful to add the options of compiling Darshan with or without PIC (with PIC enabled by default), or even some kind of --enable-shared option to produce a libdarshan-util.so?

Best,

Matthieu Dorier
PhD student at ENS Rennes
http://people.irisa.fr/Matthieu.Dorier