[Darshan-users] guidance on using --with-mem-align

David Shrader dshrader at lanl.gov
Tue Mar 5 12:04:32 CST 2013

Hello All,

I am new to Darshan and am working on making it available on our
clusters. I am having some trouble figuring out what to give the
--with-mem-align configure parameter. I have read through the
documentation where I see 8 and 16 used. Is this referring only to the
minimum read and write size of physical memory on a node (not disk, but
RAM)? Are there any resources for trying to figure out what this
parameter should be set to for a particular system? My Google searches
have come up with some research topics and programs for exposing the
differences in timing for aligned vs non-aligned writes, but I'm not
sure how to apply this information to what Darshan is looking for. For
example, the recipe for IBM Blue Gene/Q sets it to 16 partly because
"that is the optimal alignment for the network transport used between
compute nodes and I/O nodes in the system." This statement makes it seem
like not only is physical memory important, but also network transport.

Does anyone have any resources or guidance on how to think about this
parameter that they can point me to?

Any and all help is appreciated!
David

--