[Darshan-users] cray perftools

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 26 08:42:36 CDT 2013

On 04/26/2013 06:44 AM, jgp wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to put darshan in production by having its modulefile
> loaded by default for all users. There may be an issue when a user wants
> to compile his code with another tool (CRAY perftools for instance) :
>
> FATAL: The program '/scratch/santis/piccinal/CRAY+orig' directly or indirectly uses the MPI profiling mechanism.
>
> Typically, you would avoid this by adding "conflict perftools" in the modulefile of darshan which will stop the loading of darshan if perftools is already loaded. But i am wondering if it would be possible to add a variable in the src code to activate/deactivate darshan on demand. Something like :
>
> While darshan is always loaded, if a user do :
> module load perftools   # will set DARSHAN_STATUS=OFF and user can compile without darshan
> module rm perftools     # will set DARSHAN_STATUS=ON  and user can compile with darshan

Hi J.G.,

I think that what you described is certainly possible.  If you look in
the compiler script patches, the Darshan instrumentation is already
being toggled on or off based on the $CRAY_DARSHAN_DIR environment
variable (which is set by the darshan module), and it could just as
easily check a $DARSHAN_STATUS variable as well.

I'm curious about the rationale, though - is there a limitation or
problem with the module conflict option?  Unfortunately I am not an
expert on the module system, so I'm still learning these kinds of details :)

-Phil