[Darshan-users] A bug report and a feature request

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 20 15:55:42 CDT 2011

On 09/15/2011 02:00 PM, Bill Barth wrote:
> I'm interested in a tool that would scan a bunch of logfiles and throw up
> some red flags suggesting users/codes that we should be looking at.
>
> Any thoughts on metrics for that?

You might want to start by looking at some of the summary information
from running "darshan-parser --file --perf <logfile>".  In particular I
would look at these fields:

total_bytes:
   - This is the total amount of data read and written.  It's useful to
filter out jobs that didn't move enough data to be relevant from an I/O
red flag point of view

agg_perf_by_slowest:
   - This is our most accurate guess as to the aggregate I/O performance
obtained by the job.  You can divide by the number of nodes or number of
processes to get a value that is normalized to the size of the job.
(There are other estimates being printed out by the tool as well but
those can be ignored for the versions of Darshan that you are using)

total: (in the "files" section of the output)
   - This is the total number of files opened by the job.  You might
want to be on the lookout for apps that open an extraordinary number of
files.

So you could set some thresholds about what reasonable performance or
numbers of files are and look for jobs that way.

You can also roughly estimate the amount of wall time spent performing
I/O by working backwards with :

(total_bytes/(1024*1024)/agg_perf_by_slowest

and then divide that by the run time (end_time-start_time) to see which
jobs are spending an unusual fraction of their time doing I/O rather
than computing.

-Phil