[Darshan-users] Darshan and AIX?

Phil Carns carns at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Dec 22 08:12:47 CST 2010

On 12/21/2010 08:49 PM, Rob Latham wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:51:45AM +0100, Julian Kunkel wrote:
>> Hi,
>> has anyone suceeded or experience to compile Darshan on an AIX (6.1)
>> system so far?
>>
>> One problem seems to be that mpicc is used to compile the particular test for:
>> checking size of long int... configure: error: cannot compute sizeof (long int)
>> However, running an MPI executable is not possible (easily) on the login node.
> one way around that is to put configure into cross compile mode with
> the --build and --host flags.  kind of icky but will at least use
> compile-time only tests.  we might have other configure tests that
> execute code, and cross compile mode will find those as well.

We've actually got a little bit of weirdness here in that the result of
that configure test is used both in tools that will run on the compute
node (ie, the darshan library itself) and in tools that will be used on
the compute node (darshan-parser, etc.).  Technically I guess the two
could be a mix of 32 bit / 64 bit architectures, though.  Maybe the real
fix is to devise a separate, compile-only, test for both?

I think the only thing we use the current test for is to figure out how
to do the casting in the llu() and lld() macros.  Maybe we can do a
couple of compile (one with mpicc, one with cc) tests for printf of
int64's with -Werror turned on so that we can tell if either one needs a
cast?

-Phil