[codes-ross-users] CODES LP Design Question

Joe Scott tscott2 at g.clemson.edu
Tue Apr 7 15:43:16 CDT 2015

Hello All,

I am having a hard time wrapping myself around the programming paradigm here, and I wonder if you might offer some guidance on a better way to use CODES.

So I am trying to process these higher level tasks (POSIX tasks like mkdir) by launching the subevents as separate processes.

The specific case that is tying me in knots is a user issuing a mkdir.  It launches the mkdir event handler, which needs to perform a lookup on the path of the mkdir.

So I need to send an event from this client LP to itself to perform the lookup.  But I also need the lookup, upon completion, to relaunch the mkdir task.

Speaking it over with some of my lab mates, they seem to think I am either overthinking it or trying to use the wrong tool for the job.

Is this a usecase you guys are familiar with?  Can you shed some light on this situation?

I feel like there should be a way to do this without getting into callback/completion function hell.

Thanks,
Joe Scott
Clemson University