[cgma-dev] CGM OCC sense issues

Vander Zee, Evan B. vanderzee at anl.gov
Fri Jun 26 15:57:19 CDT 2015

Patrick,

Thanks for your reply.  I haven't yet committed any changes related to the issue; I've only done research on it and run some experiments in my home directory.  It would be fairly easy to commit a changing to the way that bricks are created, but based on your description of the DagMC process -- that it works by reading a file -- this would not help you directly at all.  Although I haven't carefully reviewed how OCC reads and writes .brep files, I think that the file itself stores information about what direction the normal should be from a surface when you ask for the normal without a context of which volume it should face away from.

Thus if you want to have the convention of outward-facing normal vectors for isolated volumes, you would have to change the .brep file that you are reading.  All that CGM will do for you (once the bugs in coface sense are fixed) is give you a normal direction that agrees with the orientation of the facets you get from get_graphics.

You are correct that the facets created through the iGeom interface get created by calling get_graphics.  When using OCC, the orientation on those facets corresponds to the way OCC represents (and parametrizes) the geometry for the surface.  I can change the way a brick is created so that OCC has a different representation of the geometry behind the facets.  I cannot easily change the way a .brep file is read in or the geometry you will get underneath facets read from the file because we delegate most of that task to the OCC library.

E-mail is probably not the best way to explain this, but in any case, I return to my earlier conclusion that either
(1) MOAB will have to be aware of whether the surfaces normal is outward and will have to change the facet orientation if the normal is inward
or
(2) The interface will have to change when getting graphics so that CGM can know which volume defines the outward direction and CGM will have to change the facet orientation before returning it to MOAB.

The bug in coface sense remains -- I haven't worked on it more since my e-mail two weeks ago -- and I think we agree that needs to be fixed.  That task is currently at the top of my list unless I am directed otherwise from the people who manage my cost code.

-Evan