[cgma-dev] Continuing discussion of iGeom handling of RefVolume vs Body

Paul Wilson ppwilson at wisc.edu
Thu Jan 29 15:17:05 CST 2015

Hello,

There has been some discussion in a pull request
<https://bitbucket.org/fathomteam/cgm/pull-request/8/igeom-updates> that
I thought would be better brought to the mailing list.

This was initially motivated by the realization that iGeom was
inconsistent in returning a RefVolume vs a Body in different calls.
Thus, two entity handles that referred to the same volume in space would
not be detected as the same volume.

Faced with two choices - refer only to RefVolumes or refer only to
Body's - we settled on referring only to refVolume's in the iGeom
interface.  However, this breaks the ability to refer to a Body such as
my be returned by uniting two volumes that are disjoint - which is part
of the interface.

So.... perhaps we need to only deal with Body in the iGeom interface.
Perhaps Patrick can offer some of the downsides to this approach?

Paul

--
Paul Wilson ~ UW-Madison ~ 608-263-0807 ~ cal: http://bit.ly/pphw-cal