[cgma-dev] Migrating repo to git

Tim Tautges (ANL) tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 23 17:17:08 CST 2014

Hi Jane /all,
   Jane, could you look at http://git-scm.com/book/en/Git-and-Other-Systems-Migrating-to-Git for migrating an svn repo
to git, and make sure you understand it all?  And, compile a list of all users on the svn side that we know about, and
see if you can find bitbucket users for the ones we work with?

Others: we'll be moving the cgm code repo to bitbucket.com shortly.  If you'd like to continue looking over the code or
using it, don't worry, you'll be able to do that anonymously just like you currently can with the svn repo.  If you'd
like to be involved in CGM development or propose code changes, I'd encourage you to get a (free) bitbucket account and
interact with us there.  Bitbucket provides a nice web front-end to a git repository; you can interact with git just
like you would if it were hosted on your own system, but also, the web interface allows you to do things like submit
tickets and pull requests (code changes you'd like to send back to us) and a way to track those things.  If you're
familiar with github, it's a lot like that.

Thanks.  Once the move is done we'll email this list again, as well as turn off writing to the old repo.  Eventually
we'll take that old repo offline, but not for a little while after the switchover.

- tim

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706