[cgma-dev] CGM 13.1 and PyTAPS

Iulian Grindeanu iulian at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 16 12:46:49 CST 2013

----- Original Message -----

| Hi Iulian,

| To differentiate in the test iGeom will have to have a version number
| associated with it that is accessible from Python (probably via
| another part of PyTAPS). Then you can compare the version number and
| execute the appropriate part of the test.
yes, this is something I don't know how to do. Or what is the standard/preferred way to do it in python.

| Arguably a better solution would be for the PyTAPS wrapper function
| to keep the same API it has now, test what version of igeom it has,
| and perform the appropriate call. This is a much better solution
| because then downstream code, tests included, won't need to change.
this is a good idea, and I can do it without exporting anything else. It is just that the new argument (point) will always be [0,0,0],
so we cannot test anything else. If we always pass 0, why bother with modifying iGeom?

| For further arguments sake, it is probably not the right thing to do
| for the function signatures to change on micro version numbers. This
| is really bad for stability. I don't know what the specific use case
| is here,though, so maybe it is justified.

yes, this is a good point. changing interface is never a good thing; and micro versions should never change function signatures.
It should be at least version 1.5.0 then :)

Thanks,
Iulian