[cgma-dev] Observer question?

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jul 19 22:29:43 CDT 2013

Hi Dave,
   Good hearing from you, when did you leave Sandia?

On the observer question, entities that are not intersected will persist, including the RefEntity's, though whether
something isn't modified depends on what the engine does (it's keyed off whether the underlying engine changes its
topological entity).  With Cubit, we've had mostly expected results that way, so no big worries.

If an entity does get deleted due to geometric modification, the observer will get told about it (Cubit uses that
mechanism internally to do things like clean up meshing scheme data still pointed at stale entities).

- tim

On 07/19/2013 06:34 PM, David Thompson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm relatively new to CGM and have a question about the entity reference lifecycle. Specifically, what are the circumstances where they become invalid? For instance, are FaceRefs obtained before a webcut valid afterward as long as they did not intersect the sheet used to cut the model?
>
> If not, does the observer mechanism provide enough information for me to obtain a new FaceRef for the same (un-cut) face?
>
> 	Thanks,
> 	David

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706