[cgma-dev] ANL repos will be moving to git on bitbucket.org

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 22 10:46:29 CST 2013

[Sorry for the duplicate messages for those on all these mailing lists]

Hi all,
   After careful consideration, the ANL team has decided to move the MOAB, CGM*, Lasso, and MeshKit repositories to
bitbucket.org.  Bitbucket is a public repository hosting site used by a number of well-known projects, including ANL's
PETSc project.  It provides all the normal repository functions we already use, plus a nice hosted DVCS system that
makes it easy for others to interact with.  As part of this move we will also move from Subversion to Git, which will
additionally simplify branching and merging for subprojects.

In preparation for this move, I suggest those wanting write access to the repos above get accounts at bitbucket (if you
don't already have one).  For those with the possibility, it is advantageous to register under a ".edu" email address;
academic users are allowed unlimited "private" repositories on bitbucket (non-academic users have a limit of 5 users for
private repos).  Note that all the repositories above will be public, as has been the policy up to now on the ANL-hosted
system.  ONCE YOU HAVE REGISTERED ON BITBUCKET, PLEASE EMAIL ME YOUR USERNAME THERE, AND THE REPOS YOU WOULD LIKE ME TO
ADD YOU TO AS WRITERS.  If you have no need to have write access, bitbucket will allow anonymous access too, so you
shouldn't need a bitbucket account if you only read our repos.

As for timing, I'm not sure when the official move will happen.  I will be trying to set up mirroring, such that we can
try out the git-based access (at least for read) before officially making the move.  However, I anticipate moving over
for good in the next month or so.

If you have any concerns about this, please email me.

- tim

* - certain parts of the CGM repo are more strictly access controlled; if you don't know which ones, you probably don't
need to know.  These parts will remain at ANL for now, but we may consider moving these officially to bitbucket too,
likely as private repos.  All permissions on those parts will maintained as before.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706