[cgma-dev] Introduction and IGES Question

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 12 15:45:43 CST 2011

On 12/12/2011 03:27 PM, Boyd Tidwell wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    First, let me introduce myself.  My name is Boyd Tidwell. I work for
> ETI/csimsoft in American Fork, Utah.  I am currently updating the OCC
> code to run in Cubit.  I have updated the Cubit CGM code to match  OCC
> and am currently testing functionality and have fixed a few bugs.  I
> am about to merge my OCC 6.5.1 source with the 6.5.2 source released
> today and then continue testing. You will probably see questions from
> me now and then on this list but I will try to study and research any
> problems extensively so as not to ask a lot of simple and/or silly
> questions.

Welcome Boyd, we're glad to have you and even more glad to see you guys moving forward testing this.

> Now for my first question:
>
>    Randy  Morris was told that there is a "better than the open source
> version" of the OCC IGES code/libraries available for a one time
> license fee of $5,000. Is anyone aware of such a thing?  Does such a
> version exist?  The implication is that he (csimsoft) may be
> interested in buying a license after hearing the details.

The company maintaining OCC releases a variety of extra libraries for extra license fees, including ones for meshing, I
think.  Also, those with maintenance contracts with them get every major release, instead of every other one that get
released open source.  As for us, since our interest in OCC is motivated more by the open source issue than anything
else, by definition we're not interested in the extra libs.

> Another question:  As I fix bugs that do not currently have a fix or
> patch in the OCC repository, what is the mechanism for submitting the
> fix to be reviewed and potentially included in the base code?

If you're talking about patches to OCC itself, their user forums are the place to go (Jane, isn't that where you've
submitted our patches?)  I think we've mostly had good success submitting patches to them, though not 100% (I think one
of the patches in our set for 6.5 was also in 6.3).

If you're talking about patches to CGM/OCC, you can either send them to us to incorporate, or if there are a lot of them
or they're more major, let's talk and we can potentially add you to the developer list and let you commit them directly.
  Same goes to anybody else who might be listening and would be interested in helping us improve the OCC port.

- tim

> Thanks very much,
>
>     Boyd Tidwell
>     Elemental Technologies Inc.
>     Computational Simulation Software LLC.

  phone (gvoice): (608) 354-1459      1500 Engineering Dr.
             fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706