[cgma-dev] Fwd: Re: [MOAB-dev] r5079 - in MOAB/trunk: src/io tools/dagmc

Tim Tautges tautges at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Aug 3 12:15:59 CDT 2011

[Forwarding to cgma-dev too]

- tim

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [MOAB-dev] r5079 - in MOAB/trunk: src/io tools/dagmc
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 12:15:26 -0500
From: Tim Tautges <tautges at mcs.anl.gov>
To: moab-dev at mcs.anl.gov

On 08/03/2011 11:58 AM, sjackson at cae.wisc.edu wrote:

> Although I would prefer to have a complete understanding of why these
> error messages are occuring before disabling them, I think the benefit
> to users outweighs my discomfort.  Users loading large CAD files have
> been annoyed by these messages for years, and the errors don't seem to
> affect our ability to use the loaded data as we expect.

The short(ish) answer: CGM attributes are coded to be extensible; applications are free to add new attribute types, as
long as they add functions that properly serialize and de-serialize in the form of CubitSimpleAttrib objects (which
store the attribute data in lists of ints, doubles, and strings).  Cubit stores its meshing attribute data by
instantiating many different attribute types, e.g. MESH_INTERVAL, MESH_SCHEME, etc.  If that file is subsequently read
by a version of CGM to which those attribute types have not been registered, you get those warnings.  They're not fatal,
as the extra data should just be discarded.

- tim

          phone: (608) 263-8485      1500 Engineering Dr.
            fax: (608) 263-4499      Madison, WI 53706