[AG-USERS] LANL seminar series - Clustered Parallel File Systems

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Tue Sep 5 12:17:39 CDT 2006

Sorry for the cross posting...

***  CCS-1 Seminar Series
***  http://public.ds.lanl.gov/ccs1-seminar

TITLE:
A Survey of Clustered Parallel File Systems for High Performance Computing
Clusters

SPEAKER:
James W. Barker, LANL, CCS-1

WHEN:
Thursday, Sep 7, 9:00am MDT

WHERE:
Walkabout Venue, (NCSA server)

ABSTRACT:
The compute nodes of modern high performance computing clusters are
composed of some of the fastest computing hardware available. The world's
fastest clusters are capable of 100's of Teraflops,
however, with insufficient access to data or insufficient bandwidth for the
storage of results, all of that massive computing power could sit idling in
long wait states while executing I/O bound processes.  In this seminar I
will survey the designs, strengths, weaknesses and capabilities of four
contemporary clustered parallel file systems designed for use with high
performance computing clusters: the Panasas Storage Cluster and its
ActiveScale file system, the Lustre file system, the Parallel Virtual File
System 2 (PVFS2) and the Red Hat Global File System (GFS).

All remote sites welcome. Please RSVP to sievers at lanl.gov to reserve a
space and get VNC information.  Please arrive in the venue at least 30
minutes early for testing.

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544