[AG-USERS] LANL seminar series - Ad-Hoc/Sensor Networks

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Wed Jun 21 15:54:51 CDT 2006

>*** LANL Seminar Series
>***  http://public.ds.lanl.gov/ccs1-seminar
>
>TITLE:
>DRAND: Distributed Randomized TDMA Scheduling For Wireless Ad-hoc Networks
>
>SPEAKER: Prof. Injong Rhee. North Carolina State University, CS Dept.
>          http://www.csc.ncsu.edu/faculty/rhee/
>
>WHEN: Monday, June 26th, 10:00-11:00am Mountain Standard Time
>
>ABSTRACT:
>Rhee presents a distributed implementation of RAND, a randomized time slot
>scheduling algorithm, called DRAND. DRAND runs in O(d) time and message
>complexity where d is the size of a two-hop neighborhood in a wireless
>network while message complexity remains O(d), assuming that message
>delays can be bounded by an unknown constant. DRAND is the first fully
>distributed version of RAND. The algorithm is suitable for a wireless
>network where most nodes do not move, such as wireless mesh networks and
>wireless sensor networks. We implement the algorithm in TinyOS and
>demonstrate its performance in a real test bed of Mica2 nodes. The
>algorithm does not require any time synchronization and is shown to be
>effective in adapting to local topology changes without incurring global
>overhead in the scheduling. Because of these features, it can also be used
>even for other scheduling problems such as frequency or code scheduling
>(for FDMA or CDMA) or local identifier assignment for wireless networks
>where time synchronization is not enforced.
>
>BIO:
>Injong Rhee received his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina at
>Chapel Hill. He is an associate professor of Computer Science at North
>Carolina State University. In year 2000, he founded Togabi Technologies,
>INC, a company that develops and markets mobile wireless multimedia
>applications for next generation wireless networks and he was CTO and CEO
>of the company until year 2002. His research interests are computer
>networks, congestion control, wireless networks, multimedia networking,
>distributed systems, and operation systems. He is an inventor of several
>congestion control protocols including TEAR, BIC-TCP and CUBIC. In
>particular, BIC-TCP has received a lot of media attention throughout the
>world and is currently the default TCP algorithm used in Linux 2.6 and up.
>He received NSF Early Faculty Career Development Award in 1999 and New
>Inventor's award from NCSU.

Meeting details can be found at:
http://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu/meetingdetails.asp?MID=15958
Venue: Hydrogen (on the NCSA venue server)

All remote sites are welcome.  Please RSVP to sievers at lanl.gov if your site
is planning on attending.  Please arrive in the venue at least 1/2 hour
early for testing.  We will be using VNC for the presentation.

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544