[AG-USERS] LANL seminar series Self-Organizing Networks - today

Cindy Sievers sievers at lanl.gov
Wed Jul 26 09:02:40 CDT 2006

Sorry for the short notice!! This talk is today!!!

>***  LANL Seminar Series
>***  http://public.ds.lanl.gov/ccs1-seminar
>
>TITLE:
>Self-Organizing Networks
>
>SPEAKER:
>Prof. Ozan Tonguz, Carnegie Mellon University
>http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~tonguz
>
>WHEN:
>Wednesday, July 26th, 10:00-11:00am Mountain Standard Time
>
>WHERE:
>Cosmic Voyage venue (off of the NCSA lobby)
>http://agschedule.ncsa.uiuc.edu/meetingdetails.asp?MID=16566

All remote sites welcome, please arrive at least 30 minutes early to the
venue for testing and VNC information.

> [...]
>(e.g., in the case of human beings, the immune system); i.e., the
>ability of a system or network to re-organize (or self-organize)
>itself, without outside intervention, after a part in the system is
>destroyed or harmed, so that it can continue to perform most of its
>previous functionalities in a non-disrupted and smooth manner. In this
>talk, we discuss two such emerging application areas that hold great
>promise.
>
>In the first part of the talk, we will consider wireless ad hoc and
>sensor networks which use the self-organization paradigm for
>networking without using the existing telecommunications
>infrastructure.  This new paradigm will allow communication between
>hundreds (perhaps thousands) of nodes when the nodes can not use an
>existing infrastructure, thus addressing the increasing demands of
>mobility in contemporary and future society. In particular, we will
>introduce a new approach for the design and deployment of wireless ad
>hoc and sensor networks.  This new bottom-up approach is essentially a
>communication-theoretic approach and it is in stark contrast to other
>approaches pursued in the open literature.  We show that this
>bottom-up approach (as opposed to the conventional top-down approach
>typically pursued in computer networking) is a very promising new
>approach that can give fundamental insights into the design and
>deployment of future wireless ad hoc and sensor networks.
>
>In the second part of the talk, we consider a related problem; namely,
>how to build self- organizing networks from current cellular
>networks. It is well-known that that the centralized network
>architecture of cellular networks does not allow self-organization.
>To circumvent this problem, we propose to deploy cheap and simple
>relay stations in cellular networks which can transform them into
>self-organizing networks. In particular, we provide a topology
>generation algorithm for converting a cellular network into a
>self-organizing network and we investigate whether the small-world and
>scale-free (also known as the power law) properties are also valid for
>this application.
>
>SHORT BIO:
>Ozan Tonguz is a full professor in Electrical & Computer Eng. Dept. at
>Carnegie Mellon University (CMU). He is a Co-Director of the Center for
>Wireless And Broadband Networking Research at CMU. He is the author of a
>Wiley bestseller entitled "Ad Hoc Wireless Networks: A
>Communication-Theoretic Perspective". He has published about 200 papers in
>IEEE journals and conference proceedings. He is well-known for his
>contributions in optical networks (optical transmission-access-
>networking; especially, radio over fiber networks, coherent lightwave
>transmission systems, and amplified direct-detection lightwave
>transmission sytems) and wireless communications and networks (physical
>layer communications, access, and networking).

Cindy Sievers           Los Alamos National Laboratory
sievers at lanl.gov        Group CCS-1 MS B287
tel:505.665.6602        Advanced Computing
fax:505.665.4939        Los Alamos, NM 87544