[AG-USERS] Re: [AG-TECH] unicas question

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 18 10:05:01 CST 2005

hi Dio

There are many tools to accommodate collaboration to
a wide variety of bandwidths. The key is a "centers"
concept (A facility enabled to manage various forms of
connectivity) which can handle the high speed multicasting,
and use other tools to "broadcast" to lower and unicast
bandwidths.

For example, one model could be to use a collection of applications:
   Using the AG to connect to other agnodes.
   Using Windows Media encoder to broadcast the video and audio.
   Using student teacher/teachers assistant chat communications
   Using VRVS (which seems to ride unicast bandwidth quite well)
   Using unicast bridge servers for Rat and Vic

Sharing data could also be approached in this way:
   Shared presentation and Shared Browser in the AG
   "Broadcasting" of slides in embedded webpages
   Downloading of .pdf .doc .xls or other printable media files

There have been a lot of collaborative applications developed
and then discarded for lack of use (Tango, Habenero) Using
the latest and greatest of these would be helpful as well.

The key to this collection of applications for communications
and collaborations would be to tie it all together with web
pages designed to enable efficient use of all of this.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu

    NCSA-ACCESS                         cel: 703-477-5948
    901 North Stuart Street, #800       tel: 703-248-0105
    Arlington, Virginia 22203           fax: 703-248-0100