[AG-USERS] AG Node in New Zealand?

Richard Naylor richard.naylor at citylink.co.nz
Tue Feb 24 17:21:48 CST 2004

At 01:30 p.m. 24/02/2004 -0600, Sandie Kappes wrote:
>Does anyone know if there is an AG node at the University of Auckland in
>New Zealand or anywhere close?

yes - I have 3 nodes that I'm currently putting into rack cases to move
around the country and I think we just put a fiber connex into Auckland
Uni. I know for sure I have fiber to both Victoria Uni and Massey Uni.

The issue for most NZ sites is that multicast isn't well supported and they
have limited bandwidth. NZ users also pay heavily for all Internet traffic
both nationally and internationally. Thats why you don't see me/us on the
main net often. Generally I'm just working between sites in Wellington,
where we (CityLink) have free bandwidth and plenty of speed. (You get that
when you own the fibers :-)

So let me know (with plenty of warning) if you want a node at Auckland, I
will move one there and also arrange network capacity. I'll also have to do
something serious about multicast tunnelling.

richard