[AG-USERS] Persistent space?

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 12 10:14:04 CST 2003

hi Wenjun

You certainly raise an intersting topic. One which I too
am very interested in. From my perspective, the persistant
nature of this tool has two main parts. the first is it needs
to be "on". The second it needs to be used.

The first "being on" is dependant on operators maintaining the
equipment so that it is persistantly functioning - At ACCESS
we have many nodes and have all systems running but with the
audio muted. At any time you can come to our venue (ACCESS DC)
and see what's happening. This sounds easy, but it does take some
effort and engangement to be constantly monitoring the systems.

The second "using it" is a bit trickier because it also depends
upon the consciousness of the people working in and around
these nodes. Persistant presence between sites is a new
paradigm and it will take some time for it to become a comfortable
modality. But, with time (given that the equipment is continuously
maintained) people will start to interact spontaneously.
As an operator monitoring and trying to maintain a persistant
environment I have had many spontaneous and informal
communications but for the most part those still revolve around
scheduled events or the preperation of scheduled events.

The deployment of personal interface machines will help
awarness of the persistant capability of this tool. Along with
deployment I have encouraged the people who receive these
machines to keep them "on" all the time - Which they do, but
they still rarely use them. I think this is because many
of their colleagues still do not have these systems on their
desktop. That should change as these systems become more common.

Tom Coffin .......................... tcoffin at ncsa.uiuc.edu