[AG-USERS] Hello, introductions

Michael Daw mike.daw at man.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 03:20:26 CST 2003

Hi everyone,

We here in Manchester built an AG node with the express purpose of
participating in SC Global 2001. In doing that we became the first node in
the UK (inaugural meeting August 2001) and presented or took part in about 5
SC Global events. Since then, we've been at the forefront of spreading the
Good Word in the UK. There are now 12 UK sites, soon to grow to 17. These
have been built as part of the UK e-Science Programme, which is essentially
building the UK Grid.

We at Manchester are currently trying to find the money to build a second AG
node with an integrated 3D visualization component. We're also trying to
secure the funding for a full-blown UK effort to help with the whole AG2.0
effort and beyond. For ages now, it's felt like we're just on the verge of
this (still does!).

As you may know, I'm on the SC Global 2003 committee as Technical Director
and try to be as active as one person can be in different aspects of the AG
community.

--Mike