[AG-TECH] Advice sought on AG server upgrade proposal

Tom Coffin tcoffin at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Oct 14 09:39:59 CDT 2010

hi Phil

One of the underlying concepts behind the AG (imho) is the
inexpensive nature of PC's and their ability to act as appliance's

To enable, a multiple use scenario (being able to
use the same a/v equipment into multiple applications (AG, EVO etc)
We have created a 3 box system. This has also become handy for events
that request multiple video solutions.

setup:
2 machines operate in traditional AccessGrid fashion
(video producer/linux; video consumer/audio/windows)

A third windows box which can also manage the production of 4
video steams is very useful for alternate applications
like Iocom, EVO etc. We can also take advantage of it's
expanded display to effectively use it with VNC in order
to manage other AccessGrid consumer machines located
remotely. So, in essence a control machine

BTW, we also separate gware, presentation sharing
and background communications to other machines.

Tom Coffin ...................... tcoffin at ncsa.illinois.edu

    NCSA ACCESS / Univ. of Illinois     cel: 703-477-5948
    901 North Stuart Street, #800       tel: 703-248-0105
    Arlington, Virginia, 22203          fax: 703-248-0100

______________________________ http://www.ncsa.illinois.edu