[AG-TECH] What is the advantage?+

Miller, Scott E. miller48 at llnl.gov
Thu Mar 11 13:26:54 CST 2010

AGN community,

Sorry for the apparent apathy of the following message but I do have some serious question.

I work at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and we are considering building another node for our users here.  I was involved in the first version we had years ago and pretty much drifted away from any involvement.  I am now part of a group that is being asked to put this together and I have a few questions.

I hear the advertisements on the radio about "GoToPC.com" as a web conference meeting place.  It seems rather simple to login enable your webcam and microphone and go to town.  What I am trying to figure out what is the advantage I get from using the AGN?  From my past experience (admittedly dated) we had to have an operator there for the entire meeting to monitor and tweak problems as they came up.  Is the new version more independent?  I would like to be able to go in fire the system up give the user the quick speech of here is your microphone your video images are here and give me a call when you're done.  Has the AGN evolved anywhere close to this yet?

Again please don't take these comments a derogatory I am actually trying to justify the expense of purchase and installation by asking these questions.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Scott Miller
925-424-2746