[AG-TECH] Secured or private AG sessions?

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 09:32:37 CDT 2010

Hi,

It is worth noting that without encryption, it is essentially impossible to be sure that no-one is listening.  If I join the same venue as you but turn on my firewall to stop outgoing data, I will see you, but you won't see me!

You can have an encrypted venue set up (or set up your own server and set up an encrypted venue).  This requires each participant to have a valid security certificate, which you trust (i.e. the anonymous certificates might not be enough), and then you can tell the venue server to only allow those participants to enter the venue, and set the venue as encrypted.  When a venue is encrypted, it tells your audio and video tools to use an encryption key.

What you can also do, then, is manually set an encryption key in the audio and video tools.  In vic, you can do this by clicking on "Menu" and then entering a key in the "Key:" box at the bottom, and then press "Enter" on your keyboard.  In rat, you can do this by clicking on "Options..." and then selecing "Security" from the "Categories" and then entering the key, click "enabled" and then "Apply".  You then need to communicate the key (or keys - you can use different keys in vic and rat) to the other party (perhaps by phoning them).  Note that this doesn't stop other people from coming in to the same venue, but if they do, they won't see or hear you (and I don't think you will see or hear them either).

Andrew :)

   Andrew G D Rowley
   Senior Development Officer

   Research Computing Services