[AG-TECH] Recording using hardware encoder card

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Jul 2 21:43:00 CDT 2010

On 03/07/2010, at 3:23 AM, Richard Palmer wrote:

> Dear Chris,
>

>> The downside to this method is the CPU load if you're encoding
>> multiple local streams.
>
> Any (rough) estimate of the load for 4 full PAL streams ?.

On a >3yr old machine with 2x Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270
2GHz cpus, load for live video capture and encoding mpeg4 PAL is about
50% on each of the 4 cores.

>> We have a normal 4 channel bluecherry card and its worked very well
>> for us. Thats a good omen for this new bluecherry mpeg card and
>> price
>> of ~200USD seems pretty reasonable. I didn't see a price for the
>> Picolo.
>
> That looks good, I'll give that a go instead.

If you're thinking about the "normal" composite capture card, make
sure its the PCE express version. The ordinary PCI version doesn't
have sufficient bandwidth to support 4 simultaneous full PAL size
streams. Its the PV-981 which we have here.

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland