[AG-TECH] HD vic on Linux

Andrew Ford andrew.ford at rit.edu
Fri Aug 20 11:18:59 CDT 2010

2010/8/11 Christoph Willing <c.willing at uq.edu.au>

> On 12/08/2010, at 7:07 AM, Richard Palmer wrote:
>
>  Dear Chris,
>>
>>  I just made a quick build of the latest vic for amd64 lenny. Its at:
>>>
>>> http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/debuntu/lenny/ag-vic2.8ucl_1.4.0r4876_amd64.deb
>>> An i386 version should be there fairly soon too.
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to check it fully since its a holiday here today
>>> and I don't have a lenny machine with the blackmagic driver installed.
>>> It needs dkms which isn't available for lenny although I believe
>>> there's a package in progress for squeeze. Anyway if you've resolved
>>> all that already, then the package above may work. You'll have to use
>>> dpkg to install it as I haven't properly added to our repo until I can
>>> test it more thoroughly.
>>>

>> Worked perfectly, many thanks Chris.
>>

> Richard,
>
> Great, thats good to hear.
>

>  I used a backported version of dkms.
>>

> I've also built a dkms package for lenny, available now in the UQVislab
> repo.
>

>  Could only test it with PAL camera over s-video today, that was fine, will
>> try to test the HD camera later in the week and report back.
>>
>> I'm still trying to piece Access Grid together as a system so forgive the
>> possibly foolish next question, but if I launch the standalone HD vic can
>> that then be used as part of a AccessGrid session in some way ? (using
>> the Venue client). If so, how ?.
>>

> Once the VenueClient is in a venue, the multicast addresses for the default
> video stream can be found via the the Venue->Properties... menu (a window
> should appear with the details). You could then start up your HD vic
> manually using the address you find there for the video stream.
>
> Be aware that full HD video requires quite a bit more bandwidth than the
> steams we've become used to. This means you'll probably need to add a '-B'
> option when you start up vic manually (it sets the maximum bandwidth that
> vic's bandwidth slider can be set to). I've found -B 8000 (max = 8Mb/s) to
> be good so far. Without setting that explicitly, a max of 3Mb/s is used on
> my vic, which vic deals with by limiting the frame rate of the stream.
>
> When you have your Blackmagic card & HD camera set up, you'll be able to
> select it from the Device list in vic's Option window - it'll show up as
> something like "Blackmagic-Intensity Pro". You'll also have to select the
> input connection being used (HDMI, Component, ...) from the Port button;
> also the format e.g. HD-1080i-50 from the Signal button.
>
> Don't forget to set the Encoder to h264 (mpeg4 also works). This will
> enable the "large" radio button on the right hand side, which you should
> select to enable transmission of the full HD signal.
>
> Any other vic in the venue you've chosen should now receive your stream and
> display it if it was built with the necessary codec.

Hi,

I should point out that video over a certain size (somewhere between
1280x720 and 1920x1080, maybe only limited to mpeg4/h.264, though the latter
is the only codec that can effectively do HD well) will probably crash older
versions of vic, if they support that codec and attempt to decode it.

--Andrew