[AG-TECH] VPCscreen, Multicast and TTL

Philippe d'Anfray Philippe.d-Anfray at cea.fr
Thu Apr 1 08:40:49 CDT 2010

Bonjour,

I tried using just vic with a multicast address between "our" two sites.
It appears that the threshold for the TTL here is... 35 (!)
(below the video gets lost somewhere)

If the routers use the policy I read here
(http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2/multicast/antony/)
....."The IP multicast routing protocol uses the *Time To Live (TTL)*
field of IP datagrams to decide how "far" from a sending host a given
multicast packet should be forwarded.".....

Then the TTL is used as an "a priori scope"  (and not only as a hop count)
it is normal that we receive nothing even if the number of hops between
the two sites here is only 8.

Cordialement

Philippe