[AG-TECH] RAT audio quality - Alternative codecs?

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Wed Sep 23 20:26:46 CDT 2009

Henry

If I could provide a brief comment...  I have found many video
conferencing software, including skype, do struggle with poor audio and
echo cancelling issues...  That being said, some do work a lot better
than others.

But it should be noted that I am a big fan on using superior hardware to
provide superior quality.

Have you considered using any of the USB echo cancelling
speaker/microphone devices?  See
http://www.accessgrid.org/test/taxonomy/term/23 for some examples.  I
personally use the Chat150 and Chat50 devices and I think they are
great.  They tend to work like a plug-a-play device, no tweaking
required.

The great thing about these devices is that not only can they be used
within the AG (Across the different platforms [Windows, Linux and Mac]),
but can be used on a variety of other conferencing software, such as
Skype, EVO, etc.

Now these devices are not as good as a proper fully blown AV system, but
in my opinion they work well and I have seen them deployed all over the
place.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me adding in my 2 cents worth.

Thanks,

Jason.