[AG-TECH] Inconsistent start up error - FC 10 and AGTK 3.x

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Mar 3 02:57:23 CST 2009

Hi Khanh,

> We set up a single user node with the following configuration:

> FC 10 and AGTK 3.x, Multicast network

> We have inconsistent and random errors whenever we start AG. However,
> after two or three times failed to start then we can start AG client
> successfully. We can enter Asia Pacific venue, and the audio and video
> seem OK for more than two hours.

The intermittent startup Python segmentation issue is related to a 'dbus'
multi-threading bug, some machines are more prone to it than others (e.g
quad core CPUs seem to be more prone to it than dual cores). I will be
releasing a new AccessGrid RPM this week which uses an external single
threaded program for the Avahi/dbus stuff and should be more stable.

If you want a workaround now, disable Avahi/dbus support in the VenueClient
by editing:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/AccessGrid3/AccessGrid/ServiceDiscovery.py

and change:
     import avahi
     haveAvahi = True
to: