[AG-TECH] Setting Up Video Services on Windows

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Jun 16 18:28:21 CDT 2009

On 17/06/2009, at 8:24 AM, Charles Tassell wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
>  I'm having a bit of an issue with my multi-camera setup on Windows XP
> with Access Grid 3.1  Basically, I have 4 cameras that work great
> individually.  But when I join a room, I get 4 video windows popup.
> One
> of them is the lobby of the venue with one of my cameras, and then
> the 3
> others will have one of my cameras and sometimes the video feeds of
> other participents.
>
>  Basically, I've got 4 VIC windows running with the feeds spread out
> between them, and I'd prefer to just have a single VIC window, like
> with
> RAT.
>
>  Any ideas how to fix this?  I've tried mixing it up with 4 video
> services, or 4 video producers and 1 video consumer, or just 4 video
> producers, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Charles,

You are seeing normal behaviour of vic with multiple video inputs. It
is one of the reasons why a room node is better off using a separate
machine for the video capture. Then (out of sight) that separate
capture machine would run 4 VideoProducerServices, while the display
machine (where you'd be working from) can then have just a single
VideoConsumerService (and, of course, the AudioService).

There is at least one alternative using virtual machines. However its
a bit complicated to set up - an example at:
     http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/research/accessgrid/software/xenag/
uses Xen on Linux to do this. If you must use Windows then perhaps
something similar could be done with VMWare?

chris

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland