[AG-TECH] Dell T3500 series and clearone Chat50 or Chat150 audio issues

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Jul 16 00:44:47 CDT 2009

Colleagues

Recently I have begun using the Dell T3500 precisions as an Access Grid
machine.  Unfortunately, I have issues when using either a clearone
Chat50 or Chat150 with the speaker audio [listen in rat] being distorted
and static, cracks and popping type sounds being introduced.  The mic
audio quality is fine.

These issues were seen using Fedora 10 and Fedora 11.

I tried upgrading to the latest ALSA drivers and "testing" kernels
without any success.

It was found (still in the initial stages of testings) that if I plugged
the Chat50 device (haven't tried the Chat150 device yet) into a USB hub,
rather than directly into the Machine, the audio issues disappeared.

It should also be noted that I have a number of Dell T3400 series
machines that don't experience these issues.

Anyway, the question I would like to ask is, has anyone used other USB
audio devices with a Dell T3500 machine?  Did you have any problems?
What type of device were you using and what operating system were you
using!

Many thanks,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T. (Honours)

Research Systems Support Officer
Information Technology Division
CQ University Australia

Australian Research Collaboration Service
http://www.arcs.org.au/

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
         jason.bell at arcs.org.au
Work   : +61 7 4930 9229
Mobile : 0409 630897
Postal : Building 19
         Central Queensland University
         Bruce Highway
         Rockhampton, Queensland, Australia, 4702
Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,
I would have become a Doctor.