[AG-TECH] Contemporary Display System Requirements question

Fred Dech fdech at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 2 12:05:35 CST 2009

hi,

i'm trying to spec 4 dual (display/capture) system AG nodes that
will be usable for a number of years to come (meg4, DV, HD display).

i've noticed with some existing nodes that the graphics cards cannot
push pixels fast enough to accommodate a slew of mpeg4 streams, for
instance.  we cannot afford for this to be an issue.

price IS an object, though.

i've been looking at the NVidia Quadro FX 1700 and FX 3700, but we might not
be able to afford those.

for pixel pushing, maybe i can get away with a GeForce?
the GeForce 9800 GT actually has about the same memory interface width
and memory bandwidth as the Quadro FX 3700.  and the price, of course,
is a lot cheaper.

any observations, advice on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

tia,

--fred