[AG-TECH] Announcing the release of a Fedora 12 install guide

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Dec 17 17:47:22 CST 2009

Colleagues

Just a warning and update message in regards to installing Fedora 12.  It has come to my attention that "getting the display to work" is actually a lot more problematic than first initially thought and tested.

As the updated page http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1923 says, there are a number of issues in regards to using either of the Nouveau or the nvidia display drivers.

Nouveau display driver issues:

*	Doesn't support "display port" devices, therefore many of the new video cards will not be supported;

*	Doesn't appear to support multiple video cards;

Nvidia display driver issues:

*	The enabling of additional video card causes the entire system to lock up

*	vnc doesn't "refresh display" other than the primary screen.

Now, I am not entirely sure if this is an xorg or video card driver issue, but that being said, I haven't found a way to enable 2 video cards that provides 4 displays that actually work.

Note that I have tested the same hardware on a Fedora 11 system and it works fine using the nvidia drivers....

Therefore, I would suggest that anyone looking to upgrade to Fedora 12 who will use multiple video cards, to hold off until hopefully the bug/issue is resolved.

Anyway, I will endeavour to keep everyone informed when any progress / updates have been found.

If anyone knows of a work around solution, I would love to hear from you, as my testing to date has resolved to finding no solution to this problem for the moment.

Thanks for your time,
Jason.

P.S, note that the display works okay on single or dual screens screen using a single video card.