[AG-TECH] UBUNTU 9.10, VIC, webcam (driver pb ?)

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Tue Dec 8 18:54:09 CST 2009

We have a new vic with a fix for the webcam issue (thanks to Doug
Kosovich of UQVislab). It has been only lightly tested so please
report any problems with it.

If the UQVislab repo is enabled on your system (as it probably is, if
you're running AG in Ubuntu), the new vic package can be installed
with the commands:
     sudo apt-get update
     sudo apt-get upgrade

or you could use Synaptic or the Update Manager if you prefer a gui.

Please note that for Ubuntu users this fix is only required for 9.10
(Karmic Koala), due to the recency of the kernel version it uses.
There is no new ag-vic package available nor needed for earlier Ubuntu
releases.

chris

On 07/12/2009, at 6:44 PM, Philippe d'Anfray wrote:

> Bonjour
>
> Ouf ! I'm not the only one... :-)   I was thinking of "going back" to
> ubuntu 9.04
> now it seems to be the only thing to do for the  time being.
>
> Merci
>
> Philippe
>
> Christoph Willing a écrit :
>>

>> We've now been able to replicate your problem with another webcam
>> that
>> is usually "well behaved". At the moment it looks related to the
>> kernel version since a particular version of vic that works fine with
>> this webcam and kernel series 2.6.29 does not work with the 2.6.31
>> series kernel.
>>
>> Maybe vic will need some modification to adapt to the newer kernels.
>> We'll let you know when there is some progress. Until then, the only
>> immediate solutions I can think of are:
>>  1. revert to an earlier version of your distro (which contains an
>> earlier kernel version), e.g. karmic->jaunty
>> or
>>  2. install an earlier kernel version, e.g. 2.6.31.* -> 2.6.29.6
>>

> <Philippe_d-Anfray.vcf>

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland