[AG-TECH] Problem with firewire camera and H261 video producer

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Thu Apr 2 17:50:12 CDT 2009

On 03/04/2009, at 5:57 AM, Steve Gaarder wrote:

> I am setting up a small AG node with 3.1 on Ubuntu Hardy.

Steve,

Although AG 3.2 is officially beta, its been out a long time and is
very stable - I highly recommend it. In fact I purposely haven't
packaged 3.1 for Ubuntu Intrepid so that there's an incentive for
people to upgrade to 3.2.

That won't fix your video issue (the same vic used in 3.1 as in 3.2) -
thats a separate problem which we'll look into.

chris

>  I have a Unibrain Fire-i firewire camera.  I can use vloopback and
> dc1394_vloopback to get a nice 320x240 or 640x480 stream with the H.
> 264 video producer, but the older H.261 does not work, giving me odd
> patterns of mostly green diagonal lines.
>
> I read somewhere that VIC expects RGB 16 bits per pixel. This may be
> my problem since the firewire setup offers only RGB 24 bit, YUV 422,
> YUV422p, and YUV420p.  I could modify dc1394_vloopback to convert
> the video, but is there an easier way?
>
> thanks,
>
> Steve Gaarder
> System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
> Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA

Christoph Willing                       +61 7 3365 8316
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland