[AG-TECH] Problem with firewire camera and H261 video producer

Steve Gaarder gaarder1 at math.cornell.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:57:19 CDT 2009

I am setting up a small AG node with 3.1 on Ubuntu Hardy.  I have a
Unibrain Fire-i firewire camera.  I can use vloopback and dc1394_vloopback
to get a nice 320x240 or 640x480 stream with the H.264 video producer, but
the older H.261 does not work, giving me odd patterns of mostly green
diagonal lines.

I read somewhere that VIC expects RGB 16 bits per pixel. This may be my
problem since the firewire setup offers only RGB 24 bit, YUV 422, YUV422p,
and YUV420p.  I could modify dc1394_vloopback to convert the video, but is
there an easier way?

thanks,

Steve Gaarder
System Administrator, Dept of Mathematics
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA