[AG-TECH] New node guidance and direction

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 14:39:50 CST 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 12:30 PM, John Maher <john at chem.umass.edu> wrote:

> Thank you all for your responses.  This is very helpful information.
>
> In answer to Jason's and Jeremy's question about the type of node, the
> first time use of this node will be to present to the NSF and will
> require a room holding about 50 people.  I don't know that that is the
> expected audience size in the future.  Many unknowns here.  But, in
> short, because we don't have dedicated space for the node, the
> configuration needs to be rather mobile.  A mobile node is not the
> ultimate goal, but it is what we have to initially work with.
>
> I'll check all of the information provided.  Thanks again, and any more
> suggestions are heartily welcome.

Ultimately, the problem you'll run into is micing a room that big.
Proper mic placement is key to an enjoyable experience. Our Department
runs a portable node that I designed a few years ago. It consists of 2
carts, one for PC, monitor, key, mouse and another smaller cart for
the Gentner, mixer, cables, mics, cameras and speaker. Set up takes
approximately 30 minutes because I know how to set it up. But this is
for a smaller 10-15 person conference room.

I would be happy to give you further details of our node and
configurations if you choose the mobile route.

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu

Bioinformatics Core Facility