[AG-TECH] New node guidance and direction

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Nov 6 19:03:45 CST 2008

G'day John

If I may supply my 2 cents worth.  The difficult thing about setting up
an Access Grid is that the design can be extremely flexible.  IE, do you
want a portable system (ie, trolley on wheels) or a fully blown room
base installation?

I have given over the years a number of presentations and workshops that
cover the topic of "Design Considerations for a Room Based Access Grid
Node".  Some documents that I think might be useful include:

http://www.accessgrid.org/node/753

Also, a large number of presentations (Powerpoint slides) can also be
found at http://www.arcs.org.au/VideoWorkshopsSchedule, especially the
room design presentation which is similar to the one above!

My first question to you would be, what is the purpose of the room?  Is
the room going to be used as for:

    * Small group collaboration;

    * Research seminars; or

    * Large lecture teachings.

Because depending on the purpose, can determine some of the design
concept issues....

I would also suggest:

*	Looking at the Global node listing, as a number of them have
attached images which can give you a feel of various AG designs
(http://www.accessgrid.org/nodes).

*	Have a look at the hardware section,
http://www.accessgrid.org/hardware, as it provides some examples of
various hardware items that might be useful.

Additionally, if you have wanting more of a complete list of items
required for various Access Grids, I can suggest you have a look at some
of my Personal AG nodes, which can be found at
http://ag.cqu.edu.au/FCWViewer/view.do?page=5673.  Particularly the
Rockhampton and Mackay AG's, as they are somewhat very different.

My last comment would be this, if possible, install the AG software on a
available computer (even laptop using a mic and headphone, as this would
allow you to get something up and running) which would allow you to get
a feel for how the AG works and also an opportunity to talk to local AG
sites to ask questions and gain valuable insights.

I hope some of this information is useful.

Cheers,
Jason.