[AG-TECH] Single vs multiple machine node?

Dioselin Gonzalez dioselin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 15:49:33 CDT 2008

Hello (and greetings to all the people with whom I have worked in the past!!),

In building our nodes I wanted to ask the community your
thoughts/suggestions/experiences on having a single machine node.  We
wonder if having a quad-core machine (instead of 3 separate audio,
video and display ones) will be enough for sessions with many
attendees, streaming MPEG4 and running shared applications.  Jason
Bell reported CPU usage of 40% with 4 video streams
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/ag-tech/2008/03/msg00045.html);
we are planning to send up to 8 video streams.

I'd appreciate your recommendations.  Thanks much!

Dio.-

--
Dioselin Gonzalez (SL: Chica Digital)
Research scientist