[AG-TECH] Yum package updater is offering AccessGrid update

Ben Green ben.green at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jan 17 05:40:20 CST 2008

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the answer.

Luckily (or perhaps it was planned) this same yum update is offering me the following:

python-ZSI - 2.0-4.20070622svn.fc8.noarch updates python-ZSI - 2.0-2.20070622svn.fc7.noarch

python-bajjer - 0.2.5-6.fc8.noarch updates python-bajjer - 0.2.5-4.fc8.noarch

Is it possible that yum is offering these because they have been recognised as a dependency (I didn't think yum was that clever), or is it a coincidence that they are being offered at the same time?

If yum-updatesd had not offered the python updates, I presume my AG3 client may not have worked following the yum AccessGrid update. Or would the installation of the AccessGrid update have required these same python upgrades as dependancies?

I'm mainly asking because the AGSC support many linux users, and we sometimes need to have some control over what client version people use. or at least have some idea of what version they may use. It may not always be convenient if users' linux machines are automatically upgrading the AG3 clients. I'd personally only upgrade certain applications manually so I know where I am with them. For things like kernel updates, I'm fine with yum-updatesd doing its thing.

Cheers, Ben.