[AG-TECH] SIGGRAPH Chapter Seminar over AG: Prof F.P. Brooks 25th Jan 2008

Martin Turner Martin.Turner at manchester.ac.uk
Mon Jan 7 17:50:58 CST 2008

ProgId Word.Document Generator Microsoft Word 11 Originator Microsoft Word 11 *** Apologies for Cross-posting ***

Fred Brooks, Kenan Professor of Computer Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
"How Do We Know What to Design? How Linear Can the Design Process Be?"

25th January 2008, 2-3pm Room 1.10, GMT Kilburn Building The University of Manchester

Most engineers seem to have an implicit rational model of the design process, that starts with requirements and objectives, proceeds to a design concept, then gets detailed, delivered, and maintained. Set forth in the 1960s-1970s by Herbert Simon, Pahl & Beitz, and Winston Royce (as the Waterfall Model in software), this model has dominated our thinking and even our formal processes.

We will examine what's right with this model and what's wrong with it. I assert that it is not merely difficult, but in fact impossible, to get the requirements for an original system design right before one begins doing the design. We will look at alternatives that have been proposed, ask why an unrealistic model has persisted so long, and ask where do we go from here.

Access Grid instructions below.

=======
Anyone wishing to view a seminar via Access Grid should note the following. Please check the Jabber room shortly before the start of the seminar.

Virtual Venue:
Univerity of Manchester 1:10 in the AGSC Virtual Lobby

Jabber room:
university-of-manchester-(1.10)(sam.ag.manchester.ac.uk)@conference.mcs.anl.gov

ScreenStreamer:
* Preferably use ScreenStreamer software - go to
http://www.memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer/ScreenStreamer.php and select room "University of Manchester (1.10)" from the AGSC section. Grab the screen feed (by clicking on it) from the screenstreamer window and resize it - more info can be found on http://www.memetic-vre.net/software/ScreenStreamer.
* Alternatively, the screenshot (not animated) can be accessed at http://192.150.184.66:7890 (this IP might change for some sessions - please check Jabber).

For technical assistance regarding the Access Grid, please contact the Access Grid Support Centre. Non-UK Access Grid nodes are advised to contact the Access Grid Support Centre to check connectivity before the date of the seminar.

If possible, please let us know in advance if your site intends to join a seminar.