[AG-TECH] Digital DVR

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Thu Feb 21 20:50:16 CST 2008

G'day Jeff

I hope you don't mind, but I thought I might add a few additional
comments to this thread!

I am not sure exactly what you are trying to achieve, but here are some
possible ideas.

As some people have already mentioned, there is a application available
that allows you to record AG sessions, this being AGVCR.  More
information can be found  at:

*         http://www.accessgrid.org/project/agvcr

*         http://www.accessgrid.org/node/1053 (Some basic notes can also
be found here)

As indicated, if you record an entire Access Grid session, the file size
can be quite large (Depending on the number of participants).

The AGVCR application allows you the ability to select the participants
you wish to record and secondly, the ability to edit and resave a
pre-recording and thus removing unwanted video and audio streams to
reduce file size.

I also suggest that you also look at the "Windows Standalone Run-time"
setup, which would allow you to provide someone externally the support
files and the AG recording, in which people could then use to view the
recording.

Additionally, as mentioned, VPCScreen Capture allows you to capture a
presentation and transmit it as another video stream.  The benefit of
this is that this can then be recorded as part of an AGVCR recording.

This may or may not offer you exactly what you are chasing.  As
mentioned in other threads, the Access Grid is hard to record in a
format suitable, ie AVI, mpeg, etc.  The main reason for this is that
each of the video streams are separate entities and therefore, how does
one "layout" all of the streams so that one single video recording can
be made (Obviously this is a lot easier if you only want a single camera
video stream to record).

*         One method I have seen, which unfortunately takes up a fair
bit of time to do, is to replay a recording, or even do this live, is
position all the video streams on a single display.  Then either through
some sort of scan converter, vga capture box, or whatever, push the
video image and then capture both the video and audio through some sort
of black box recorder.

Anyway, I hope you find some of this information useful.

Cheers,

Jason.